[Opensim-users] Second Life (TM), Linden Lab (TM), Monster & Company...

Gryc Ueusp gryc.ueusp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 17:12:54 UTC 2008

(Firstly, IANAL.)

On Wednesday 02 April 2008 11:53:45 am Olish Newman wrote:
> I noticed, Linden Lab is starting to hate OpenSim or some... lol
>
>  First Cory Linden, the man which proposed to opensource the SL viewer
> leaves Linden Lab (fired ?). And now Linden Lab changes its copyright
> policy. Even SL related websites' domain names containing "sl" have to
> change within 90 days. Pfff...

Actually, they didnt change their *copyright* policy, they made their
*trademark* policy more specific.  (see
http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/04/01/more-on-the-trademark-policy/ )

The unfortunate thing about trademarks, is that the company that owns them
*has* to defend them, or they will lose them.

>  And after, will we have to give up the SL viewer because it is named
> "Second Life" in the title bar of the SL window, and uses the SL logo as
> shortcut ?

Not necessarily.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iceweasel for something
that probably will happen in the future of the SL viewer.  We wont have to
give it up, the people who distribute precompiled versions will just have to
use a different logo and call it something else.