[Opensim-dev] [Opensim-users] OSCC21 Audience Feature        Suggestions

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Mon Feb 14 23:18:08 UTC 2022

The project was originally started by me, based on Unreal 4. My intent was, at that time, that my reading of the unreal license is that "games" based on UE4 are free up to a certain (high) number of copies being distributed, and the cost could be sidestepped by not distributing the viewer as binary but instead providing an easy way to build

from source. This way, most users would be independent developers and outside licensing. Commercial grids would have had to pay, but as they are commercial, would have the means to do so.

That left the science community out in the cold, so I suspect it is why diva wanted to move it to a different platform. Xenko was chosen since it had recently gone opensource and free (as in beer), and is C#.

My unreal version is developed to the point where it can actually display sims, including textures and mesh, but without windlight, using unreal's superior shaders. It has all the code needed to render a single region, multiple regions can be added by making them game levels. The Unreal version doesn't implement the LL protocol, it was always intended to break away from it. The Unreal effort is VR headset capable. I believe any viewer for the future will need that because FB will certainly leverage their ownership of Oculus for their "meta"verse. The last version was able to access assets off an opensim asset service, but used a simple XML representation of the scene tree in a file as input to render. That was meant to be retrieved through a new protocol that would supply the initial scene tree, then any updates since then, as a burst and lazily load the assets.

I don't know how far the Xenko effort went, that would have to be left to people picking it up.

---- On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 22:23:26 +0000 Mister Blue <misterblue at misterblue.com> wrote ----

For sure. There was a start at a new viewer but that effort petered out. If
anyone is interested, they could restart that project.

I have a different take on viewer-ness that includes a new protocol for
various reasons. But, while the viewer is essential, there is still a lot
of stuff needed by OpenSimulator like compatibility with all the newer
formats (avatars, mesh editors, ...) and communication systems. Even its
build system could use an update. Lots to do.