[Opensim-dev] Old ODE still to keep?

Leal Duarte ajlduarte at sapo.pt
Mon Dec 2 00:10:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

     Changes on Robust <-> regions protocols are a bit rare, and when
they happen, we try to keep backward compatibility.  But we can't ensure
there will be no breaking changes in future. In fact some support for
0.8x regions on 0.9x services, or vice versa will be removed in near
future, (possible some was already removed).

     So running a 0.9.1.x Snail just for old ODE content on future
robust version, will be a time limited solution.

     Removing Old ODE, will, for all purposes, remove support for the
old content made for its specific behavior. Most can be fixed, for
example correcting vehicle parameters that it did ignore, and give odd
results on engines that support them, etc... but this basically making
new content.

     And as i said that old content may also have issues with current
script code.

      The  possible removal of old ODE will only happen, possible under,
Yeti release (at least 0.9.2.0), and when it mey help simplify future
code changes on physics and related Framework.

     We may still have Snail update releases ( at least 0.9.1.1).

Ubit

ps:  current options for physics engines are old ODE, Bullet and ubODE