[Opensim-dev] Unreal viewer: summoning the coders

Rob Lindman rob at roblindman.net
Thu Dec 20 14:32:45 UTC 2018

If people are working on these viewers, especially on matters of URI
handling... it would be nice if there was one (1) ONE with a decent
gridinfo configuration panel. (Preferences -> Opensim -> Made Of Fail)

When attempting to add a test grid... It is exceptionally annoying if
there is some difficulty in adding a new grid. You cannot manually edit
the individual line items for grids in order to adjust the different
pages. It frequently takes a while to fail if there is some difficulty
reaching the /gridinfo file. I wind up with redundant 'lost continent of
hippo' entries. I was trying to figure out what was going on testing on
127.0.0.1 (which for some reason fails 'despite our best efforts'.)

The /gridinfo URI itself is also ridiculous. Check for /gridinfo.xml or
something... I wanted 'mydomain.com' to be all a user had to put into
this panel in order for it to work, instead of mydomain.com:9000 ... And
so, hey, I am running apache, might as well just put a file up there
called /gridinfo, that way I can omit the port number while fulfilling
the /gridinfo requirements... While it was 'fun' to mess around with
mod-rewrite... this whole process shows that the OpenSim / TPV community
didn't put much thought into MAKING IT EASY for people to get on grids.

I ultimately had to open the Firestorm user grids xml file and add one
in manually to access the opensim running on my local system. That's
ridiculous. A typical end user is not going to want to go through that.
I am an opensim / second life enthusiast and this hassle was enough for
me to set the computer on fire. There is no easy way to debug what is
happening here.

If I had to go through all this trouble every time I wanted to connect
to A WEBSITE then I am sorry to say I would simply become Amish and
start milking goats.

A replacement for LLUDP isn't needed. What's needed is for people to
actually think about what they are doing. Try out the software under
different conditions and wonder if a person new to this environment
would REALLY want to contend with the seriously annoying issues that are
basically in the way of anyone adopting OpenSim.