[Opensim-dev] Unreal viewer: summoning the coders

Michel Beauregard gimisa at yahoo.fr
Sat Dec 15 14:20:56 UTC 2018

extract from DIVA email paragraph 4:

.....and the horribly un-optimized content that people create.

Mainly asset quality  problem that translated in lag and loading failure in our scenes.

A while back I was talking to the creator of the viewer building tool in SL who also happen to be the keeper of SVARGA a SL showcase region done with prim only .  At the time the viewer was defacto the  input filter tool for SL content.

Now a days with content creation external to viewer where would a content upload  filter tool best fit if not in the viewer. The cost of upload is a good indication of what burden is incurred in hosting said content and in SL that cost to some  extent  somehow regulate the content creation quality. SL also imposes upper limits on mesh object creation see next paragraph for details.  Could we use that data or other in our new viewer  to do some kind of control of asset upload quality in our opensim grids.

See for detail http://blog.nalates.net/2015/10/01/second-lifes-limits/#more-15460 where they indicate that not only there is a upper limit on material of 8 and total of triangle count per object of 174,752 for you mesh in SL , which was already documented . But they mention there is also a limit per material of 175,752/8 = 21,969 triangles .  Testing at the time with 0821 none of these limits were applicable to opensim.

GiMiSa