[Opensim-dev] Unreal viewer: summoning the coders

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sat Dec 15 00:08:25 UTC 2018

It's #3.

Here's my point of view(er). We need a viewer that:

1) Uses secure networking and is able to go through firewalls, so a
completely different network stack.

2) Accepts programmable UIs from the server and therefore is capable of
conveying completely different applications.

3) Uses modern graphics, so a completely different rendering engine.
Would be nice that it would be capable of being compiled for different
platforms such as mobile and game stations.

4) Last but not least, is capable of rendering OpenSim/SL content. We
all like the build tools of SL, they are the easiest 3D authoring tools
out there, and therefore we want to continue to support prims and the
horribly un-optimized content that people create. The current viewers
can support building very well, we should continue to use them for that.

Rendering on the Web browser is not a priority. These days it's pretty
easy and common to install and run native applications by clicking
links. Ppl are starting to get used to it with apps like Zoom,
BlueJeans, etc.

We've been having internal discussions about how to go at it, what
rendering engine(s) to use, etc. Personally, I hate the thought of
committing to one single technology, so a lot of the hesitation [on my
part] has been to figure out how to develop a viewer that doesn't commit
strongly to Unreal, Unity, ... but that could perhaps be made to work
with several rendering engines. Like what we did for Physics on the
server side. It's not easy, and may not even be possible. So starting
with one but keeping it at arms-length distance may be the way to go.