[Opensim-dev] Latif Kalifa

Terry Ford terry at digiworldz.com
Sat Mar 5 16:42:14 UTC 2016

Very sad indeed.

I did not know Latif, and was saddened by this news.

I did a quick search and found a page
(http://slviewerdramaz.tumblr.com/page/2) which seems to indicate Latif
is actually Edin Kadribašić.
https://plus.google.com/+EdinKadribasic/posts
http://www.edin.dk/p/about-me.html
https://www.facebook.com/edin.kadribasic

This seems to indicate he was also involved in the PHP project as well
as several other things.
Not completely sure on this, maybe someone else knows better than I?

I and the rest of the OpenSim community will always owe a debt of
gratitude for his contributions.
I wish his family peace and my thoughts are with them.

~Terry

On 3/5/2016 10:00 AM, Diva Canto wrote:
> It is with great sadness that I inform you that one of the oldest and
> most respected members of this community, Latif Kalifa, has passed
> away, after a long battle with a serious health condition that landed
> him in the hospital many times over the past few years.
>
> Latif's contributions to the open source SL ecosystem were vast and
> varied. He was one of the original contributors, and the main
> maintainer, of libOMV, a library that embodies the LL protocol and
> data structures. LibOMV lies at the heart of OpenSimulator, as well as
> many SL/OpenSim bots developed by lots of people. Latif also developed
> Radegast, an alternative viewer used by many, especially people with
> disabilities. He also contributed to the Singularity viewer and its
> offshoot, Replex. He participated in the SL Architecture Working
> Group, and in many technical discussions in the OpenSim-dev IRC chat
> channel. He was a vocal advocate of free open source software.
>
> We don't necessarily know who Latif was in real life, what he did for
> a living, or who is family and loved ones are. That's one of the
> consequences of being part of world-wide online communities, where we
> interact only with virtual representations of real people, often using
> pseudonyms. But it was clear to everyone who interacted with him that
> his spirit was strong and that his heart, wherever in the world he
> lived, was in the right place. Open source software exists because of
> people like him.
>
> His code will outlive him.
> He will be missed.

*Terry Ford*