[Opensim-dev] [Non-DoD Source] Re: Still on Sim and Phys Frames per Second (FPS)

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 06:08:12 UTC 2015

While I understand your frustration here is more about who made the change
and who it's connected to which is a political thing...   For me, it's not
at all a political problem and entirely a technical problem.    Nobody knew
during the 3 months you mentioned.....   the affect it would have on
existing viewers.

It certainly wasn't DISCLOSED BY YOU that that the change would make
viewers with a Lag meter show the sims as perpetually laggy.

I'm not saying that you did anything wrong... at that point...  you
probably didn't know either...  since, you said for yourself,  for the most
part you're using your own WebGL stuff because the viewer licensing is very
complex.

Even though before, I didn't think you were doing anything wrong....   ,
now... I feel like you ARE doing something wrong in the way that you're
handling this.

What cost are you willing to accept to make a stat accurate and NOT make
some kind of compromise like I suggested... ,that Melanie had ALREADY
implemented by the time I suggested it?   Are you willing to make
OpenSimulator less usable for many users so you can have certain bits in
the stream in a certain spot and are not happy with it being in a separate
spot to keep everything usable for a wide audience?

I understand that you 'were' trying to help.   However, it seems to have
morphed into an attempt at manipulation through politics.  I know you're
frustrated...    I understand that it is HARD to work in groups and
coordinate teams.   I have dealt with this MANY times during my
OpenSimulator contributions.   It is super frustrating when I'm super
excited about a nifty new functionality that I contributed...   only to
have someone in core say it breaks something important and have it forced
to be relegated to a configuration option...   It is frustrating..   it
really is.   However, when working with teams...  GOOD communication and
coordination is REQUIRED.   I cannot go on my own and expect everything to
be nice and simple when I hand over a slab of code that I worked on
separately.  I also can't make tsunami waves until I make some normal sized
waves that people enjoy surfing.   While communicating with someone...
the onus is on me, being the one doing the communicating, to be sure that
the other party understands and receives my message clearly.  I can't
expect them to read my mind or react well to increasing frustration.
Frustration is an unfortunate part of the code contribution process.   Have
you ever contributed code to Linux? Are you ready to have your coding
skills over analysed by hundreds of developers..   some of whom have
absolutely no manners?

Then, you made a public stink about reporting statistics.  Which was cool
because we do want accurate stats...   I said before that I wanted accurate
statistics (It has been repeated in these communications multiple times)...
 however I WARNED to be careful with the stats because of the viewer
issues.

In the end, it DID cause problems with the viewer.  Unfortunately, for us,
it is entirely impractical to expect all viewers to change...  When the
viewer developers DO make concessions and change, we are EXTREMELY
grateful.  Those viewer code bases are NOT easy to deal with.   In the end,
the only thing that I have control over is myself.

So, technical solutions were proposed....   and here's where I think it
went wrong.    Instead of compromising and working out a solution
constructively...    there was all of this drama and finger pointing...
 and instead of dealing with it constructively you struck out against the
fact that it was there and made accusations against people based on their
affiliations.    Then, you doubled down on that....    all the while, a
simple fix to what now was a BUG was implemented to resolve the issue for
the immediate...  and ACTUAL constructive solutions were being devised and
implemented for the long term.

>From a technical perspective, it is super simple to report the 'accurate
stats' in another place and make sure it's highly documented.      SIMPLE
to do.   It doesn't require all of this drama...

Much like you called out the code on the FPS issue, I'm calling you out on
the political drama now.  It is entirely unnecessary and even harmful at
this point.  Instead of focusing on a solution that will work for
everyone..    you're sticking on this one thing...  over and over again.
How many times can you beat that dead horse?  Thank you for letting us
know.   The community is aware of that issue now.  You have successfully
brought it to our attention and solutions are being devised and implemented
so proper testing can be done..  if not by you then other people.

"The  bridges  are burned.",   OK.   That's a stance of someone who doesn't
really care anymore.     I'm fine with that.    For me, it means, less
drama, more constructive solutions.  Again, you successfully brought that
issue to our attention.  Thank you for your contributions to OpenSimulator
and I wish you well in your future endeavors.  May they be awesome and
innovative and wildly successful.

Lets move on to other technical issues.

Regards

Teravus