[Opensim-dev] Changes in inventory interface and Simian backend

Michael Emory Cerquoni nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 06:02:02 UTC 2015

For those who are interested or need Binary version to test, OSgrid has
been updated and has pushed out a new release that can be used not only for
regions on OSgrid but can be used for any grid or standalone just by
dropping in your configuration files, available here >
http://www.osgrid.org/index.php/downloads  I am excited to see if others
will see the same level of performance we have.

On Sat, May 9, 2015 at 1:28 AM, Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over this past week I made an overhaul of how inventory is initially
> downloaded. The code was extremely inefficient, and often led to inventory
> stalling (http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=7054). In order to
> make things more efficient I added two additional methods to the inventory
> service interface that allow fetching multiple things at once. This made
> download times for large inventories be slashed to a small percentage of
> what they have been -- depending on size and how many links there are in
> the inventory, the download times now may be as small as 1%-30% of what
> they were before. (The more links, the more drastic the improvements will
> be)
>
> I'm not entirely sure how the Simian backend deals with inventory -- if it
> proxies it through the simulator or if it uses a capability URL directed at
> the inventory service. If the former, things will be functional but will
> continue to be inefficient until someone brings the Simian connector up to
> date with the new functions. Doing this requires changes in the backend
> itself, which I'm not in a position to do.
>
> Please look at the changes introduced in SimianInventoryServiceConnector,
> and it will be clear what needs to be done on both sides of the network.
>
> Diva

Michael Emory Cerquoni