[Opensim-dev] PhysX Integration into OpenSim

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY ARL (US) douglas.maxwell3.civ at mail.mil
Tue Mar 17 15:02:13 UTC 2015

You bring up some great talking points, Michael, and I'll try to address them in a logical order:

1)  I agree the submission of one large patch is a bad idea.  We would like for the developers to be informed of our work in-situ and even participate if they want.  Since this is a major effort, we will be holding weekly IPT meetings in MOSES to discuss progress.

2)  Does the OpenSimulator project have a formal patch acceptance process?  What is your testing and QC regimen?  If you don't have these practices in place, I'd be happy to help you formulate.

3)  We are attempting to actively engage this list so that you are all aware of our work.  If you want to be involved, please speak up.

4)  We are acutely aware that we are building on open source software and abiding by all licensing terms.  Further, we have made our enhancements and grid management software available via GitHub for anyone to download and use.  We will be working from our GitHub on this physics effort and you are welcome to download the latest code at any time.  We will also be submitting patches of our progress periodically to the community once we understand what the submission process is.  https://github.com/M-O-S-E-S

I can only make the code available to you, I cannot make you use it.  We are not concerned with backwards compatibility, nor are we concerned with SL compatibility.  It is likely there will be a situation where the OS core developers may like the new performance or functionality we are working on but you may need to massage the code to align it with your requirements.

v/r -doug

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
Simulation & Training Technology Center
(c) (407) 242-0209<tel:%28407%29%20242-0209>