[Opensim-dev] PhysX Integration into OpenSim

Michael Emory Cerquoni nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 15:56:58 UTC 2015

Sounds great Sean, however I must say that submitting monolithic patches
into OpenSimulator is not something we tend to accept or encourage, it
would be considerably better if development was actively done in smaller
pieces so it could be tested on a very wide audience as development is
occurring so that the OpenSimulator team can have a say in the process and
help out with testing as well, I hardly speak for the entire collective but
I can offer my perspective on things being involved in this project from
nearly the beginning, I do look forward to seeing what you guys can come up
with and I do hope you consider working closer with the OpenSimulator
development team and not try to pull off this massive feat in a closed
environment, I would hate to see all this work be done and then not end up
in OpenSimulator code base.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:49 AM, Sean M <mondesire.sean at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The MOSES Team has begun the integration of Nvidia's PhysX physics engine
> into OpenSim. The effort's motivation stems from a deep review of the
> capabilities PhysX can bring the simulator and a number of discovered
> limitations that exists with ODE and BulletSim. Abstractly, we want to
> improve the overall performance of physics in our grids. Specifically, we
> turn to PhysX for its internal multi-threaded capabilities (not just
> relying on physics being executed on a separate thread from the OpenSim
> core), optimized performance with the use of dedicated GPUs, and the
> potential to bring more realistic physics to the system (vehicle movement,
> n-bodied physics, etc). Upon completion of this effort, the integrated code
> will be shared with the community.
>
> PhysX: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx
> MOSES: http://www.militarymetaverse.org/
>
> Best regards,