[Opensim-dev] Frame rates in opensim

David Saunders abitar.com at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 15:19:06 UTC 2015

Well as time goes clients are getting more hefty and require more system
resources. Why, Mesh might be part of it, but programmers are not trying to
keep them supper efficient these days.  Most cant since the core of most
clients is SL released code.  I Partition my video memory out to each
client, I barely can get 3 on the best running one. I remember with mesh
still out there on the same computer I could run 5 before.  So if I need to
have lots of avatars running I use a client like ragest, a fully texted
based.

Now for vara regions. I not looked at the impact on the client. But on the
server they tend to run about 100% more heavy on ram the a single region.
All our regions are  ran on a 1 region per sim system.  Right now I am
finding the biggest problem with memory, is some regions have imported SL
scripts that run wild and will eat of the ram.  for example our singles run
about 1.6 max res mem and vara(3x3) top out about 3.2 g res mem. But we
also have a rouge single region running at 5.6g res ram.  Have to go back
there and find the problem scripts again.   Last one only thing I could
fine with the script was in a endless loop.

David.