[Opensim-dev] Sim and Phys Frames per Second (FPS) Issues

Michael Emory Cerquoni nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 18:28:55 UTC 2015

The reason physics and scripting are locked at 11fps is because this is
what the OpenSimulator heartbeat ticks at, the reason it is multiplied is
to satisfy the viewer statistics, I am not sure its possible to have it
report the legitimate numbers without some wierd side effects, but I could
be wrong, you would have to experiment, I suspect though that changing this
could lead to a lot of badness.

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Sean M <mondesire.sean at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We at the MOSES project have noticed Simulation and Physics frames per
> second (FPS) have a few issues that we are trying to resolve. The issues
> are producing suspicious performance statistics for the analysis of the
> current version of OpenSim that we are running.
>
> First, there is a correction factor (m_reportedFpsCorrectionFactor) that
> the raw SimFPS is multiplied by. The comment in the following line is a bit
> curious because it indicates that the FPS is artificially inflated to "lie"
> about the actual FPS being so low:
>
> OpenSim/Region/Framework/Scenes/SimStatsReporter.cs: Line 317
> // We're going to lie about the FPS because we've been lying since 2008.
> The actual FPS is currently
> // locked at a maximum of 11.  Maybe at some point this can change so that
> we're not lying.
> int reportedFPS = (int)(m_fps * m_reportedFpsCorrectionFactor);
>
> Also, lines 174 and 227 mention the use of this correction factor.
>
> Second, this multiplier also comes into play in the Scene where there is a MinFrameTime,
> which seems to be the minimum reported amount of time to process a frame:
> OpenSim/Region/Framework/Scenes/Scene.cs:Line 723
>
> Both of these variables, the correction factor and MinFrameTime, are
> concerning from a statistics view point as they are generating skewed and
> massaged numbers; therefore, I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Is it commonly known that Sim and Phy FPSs are inflated to maintain the
> "lie"? And if so, will it be corrected to be an accurate reporting of
> processed frames per second?
>
> 2) What exactly are the definitions for OpenSim's Simulation (Sim) FPS,
> Physics (Phy) FPS and a frame (I have found conflicting and vague
> definitions on the wiki)?
>
> 3) What are the known performance consequences of setting the m_reportedFpsCorrectionFactor
> to 1 and MinFrameTime to 0?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean M.

Michael Emory Cerquoni