[Opensim-dev] Mitigating db corruption caused by issue 7514 (Ferd Frederix/Fred Beckhusen)

Fred Beckhusen fred at mitsi.com
Wed Jul 29 00:04:38 UTC 2015

Mantis 7657 is a report on a bug related to bug 7514  that has been
corrupting assets since October 2014, is still doing so, and apparently
will do so forever. http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=7657

7657 includes a Perl program written by Jeff Kelley and I which we have
used to repair the damage to about 3500 assets out of 80K on our two
small grids.

This is not a permanent fix.  7657 attempts to address that by asking
for a patch.

Judging by our results, the script should make your customers happy to
get back a large number of broken assets.  You should, of course, try it
on an backup database with  updates disabled, (UPDATE => 0) as a test.
This will print a count of how many assets you have that are spreading
around and making everybody unhappy, and it will also save the before
and after blobs as text to disk for further analysis,  if you are into
that.

In my case, it repaired about 1000 assets out of 35K. Jeff  had about
2500 out of 40K.   I blame my total on my partner's many attempts to get
new shoes.    My standalone HG server can scan and repair about 5K
assets a minute.   Having peeked in her inventory, that's a lot of shoes
per second.   And I can finally rez the things I got from OSCC.    The
Bad/Total ratio is at 4.3% now between our two small Windows grids.   I
would love to hear how your grid fares, especially if any corrupted
assets have spread to Linux,  as that may get attention and a fix from
Those Who Know How To Fix Things. If you make changes to the Perl, I
would appreciate any patches or advice direct to my email.  I plan to
maintain this and other Perl DB code for Opensimulator in the free
script library at http://www.outworldz.com.

Unfortunately, the Perl must be applied periodically as the corrupted
assets will just travel the HG, and re-infect every database, including
both Linux and Windows machines.  As well as OARs and IARs.  It appears
from our studies that it will never stop, without a patch to core.

What we propose  may seem to be a hack, but what else can be done?

Ferd Frederix, aka
Fred K. Beckhusen
fred at mitsi.com
http://www.outworldz.com