[Opensim-dev] Open Simulator Metrics Reporting Changes (Phase 1) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Kevin kevin at ve3syb.ca
Fri Apr 17 17:55:32 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-17 11:28, Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY ARL (US) wrote:
> Time Dilation:
> Previous:  Originally just returned the PhysicsScene value for
> TimeDilation
> which is 1.0.
>
> New:  The time it took for the physics and simulation to run not
> including
> the sleep time, divided by the minFrameTime passed into the program
> from the
> OpenSimDefaults.ini file variable MinFrameTime. This would mean that a
> value
> of 1 is no sleep necessary, less than 1 and the program slept for some
> remaining amount of time, and greater than 1 the physics and simulation
> took
> longer to run than the allotted time.

The proposed changes to the stats seem reasonable to me until I got to
Time Dilation. The way I read your proposal might alter the behaviour of
some scripts or might affect, or possibly break, some external grid
administration systems that use Time Dilation. The way I understand Time
Dilation is that it varies from 0 to 1 and a number less than one is
usually a sign of lag in the region. Your proposal seems to indicate
that values can range from less than one to more than one with less than
one being better than if TD is 1.

--

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/           |"Nerds make the shiny things that
distract
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172      | the mouth-breathers, and that's why
we're