[Opensim-dev] New MOSES Physics Video

Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY ARL (US) douglas.maxwell3.civ at mail.mil
Tue Apr 14 12:18:55 UTC 2015

Good Morning, as you all know the MOSES developers are working on PhysX integration into the Open Simulator to support functionality currently not possible in the platform.  We are a methodical group and a couple months ago I asked one of our interns to work with the developers to create a series of baseline physics behavior case studies.  The first case study is a destructible wall caused by an explosive charge.  This wall is composed of blocks that are tested at a high density and a low density to simulate different destruction effects.

The goal here is to eventually have all of the prims in the sim loaded with the scripts needed to react to any type of random explosive charge set by the participants in the training scenario.

The video can be found below:

https://youtu.be/jSofWcwWi7g

Your feedback is welcome.

Observations:

1)  Current limitations of the open simulator prevent us from expanding the tests beyond a simple wall.

2)  The scripts exercise the engine well and expose limitations between the sim frame rate and the physics frame rate.

3)  It is easy to crash the sim with this demonstration, especially if more than a handful of people are present (more than 3-4 client connections).

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
Simulation & Training Technology Center
(c) (407) 242-0209<tel:%28407%29%20242-0209>