[Opensim-dev] SimulatorExtraFeatures Service

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 31 00:06:47 UTC 2014

Hi BlueWall,

I see you added this service to master today which appears to allow simulators to fetch 'extra' information about
OpenSimulator features at runtime [1].  I have a number of questions/points.

1.  Can't this be part of GridInfo?  Why do we need another service for this?

2.  Why is the Robust side config named [SimulatorExtraFeatures]?  This makes it a pain to get a uniform config story
for standalone as well as grid.  Can't it also be [SimulatorFeatures] so that standalone doesn't need another seemingly
identical section if it needs to get this config?

3.  What is the purpose of the region_override config value?  If regions did want different values for extra features
then it would be trivial for them to workaround this.  If these really do need to be unique to the grid, then I think
they should really be fetched by the viewer directly from the service and not via the SimulatorFeatures capability, as
many of these are not really simulator features but grid-wide.

4.  I know Json RPC was already used for profiles, but it's getting to be a real pain when services keep using different
access methods (REST, HTTP query parameters, RPC, etc.).  Can't we use HTTP query for this like many of the existing
services? [2]

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/SimulatorFeatures_Extras
[2] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Services

--