[Opensim-dev] Mono 4.0 coming changes

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:18:45 UTC 2014

There already is a profile chosen by the project. If the latest mono dev
master can't compile with it, then those with the expertise to run the
latest dev master mono can use that expertise to change the profile to a
new one. If OpenSimulator doesn't require the new profile to run on older
installations, then there is no reason to make those who use existing
working installations, including those using one of the most popular server
platforms (Debian stable) to go thru the effort of upgrading. As of now
there is no such dependency in OpenSim core. We should add one just so
people who insist on the bleeding edge mono dev code don't have to change a
single line in a single file? If they are such linux experts, let them
write a script that automatically detects and changes it.

Much of the real world does not use bleeding edge software and doesn't have
the resources to update at the drop of a hat. Quite often new software has
to go thru a vetting process that for large installations can even take
years. Often educational institutions have IT bureaucracies which prevent
such updates. Should we cut them off also? How about installations that
have other .NET applications besides OpenSimulator? Will they work with the
new Mono?