[Opensim-dev] Package manager

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sun Dec 28 05:12:58 UTC 2014

On 12/27/2014 8:19 PM, Fly Man wrote:
> I will throw in my 2 cents because this has come up many times now and
> i think this might also be the right time to do it:
>
> * Clean out the Bin folder and make it so upgrades can be easier
>
> - Don't store all the information in the Bin folder but place it
> outside in a folder so upgrades can be seamless by just dropping in a
> new bin folder.
>
> That way add-ons, file-assets, map-tiles and other things won't get
> deleted when someone accidentally removes the bin folder

This is all possible to do today with the existing configurations and
without any package manager. I run a grid where all the configs, asset
cache, map tiles, and scripts are all outside of bin. The config
variables already support this.

But that is not directly related to packages or package managers. That's
grid management. I'd like to keep these two issues completely separate,
as different people have different ways of doing grid management. We
should just give the power for people to configure things in the way
that works for them, which is what we're already doing, and we shouldn't
create unnecessary dependencies between one activity (grid management)
and the other (3rd party package installation).