[Opensim-dev] dispatcher interface

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 01:03:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:53 PM, Mic Bowman <cmickeyb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Show me a mechanism in opensim that is well layered enough to handle these
> messages with both binary & text encoding over both streaming & packet
> protocols and i will gladly use it.

I used the libomv OSD and it's various serializations. They worked very
well. I've found the JSON to be quite usable with python, javascript ,and a
few c++ libs I've tried.  I've not had as good of luck with the various
binary LLSD ports out there though and I wrote my own for c++. I've used
the various serializations both in TCP and UDP with good success.

>> So let me come back to this question... what's the purpose of putting
> this in core? Its far more work for me and the only benefit i personally
> get out of it is that if you change the name of a threading function,
> you'll know you broke the dispatcher code right away so i don't have to go
> digging around trying to figure out what's changed to fix it myself. (And
> you don't make that kind of change very often so its not a big deal.) If
> people have to go to a separate repository, then why wouldn't I just put a
> package there that they can extract into their opensim directory that
> includes the dll's, the config file & whatever client code/applications are
> necessary?
>
> At this point I'm thinking that we should just skip core inclusion & i'll
> just keep managing the dispatcher in a separate repository. Figuring out
> how to make an easily installable opensim package (and package manager)
> seems like a better use of the time in the long run.

I see where you're coming from and although I'm a bit disappointed I have
to agree with your reasoning. I do think such a generalized, privileged
networked interface would be a very useful thing at some point but perhaps
it's too soon. I've not really considered committing my implementation for
similar reasons as have been brought up in this thread. I also have
serveral clients, 3 different viewers, a few out-of-process extension
modules, and 2 other servers (not based on OpenSimulator) that use this
protocol and I'm not really open to the idea of other people modifying the
protocol and creating a huge maintenance burden for me. Perhaps this is the
kind of thing that just needs to be out in the wild for a while before
enough can be learned to "do it the right way".