[Opensim-dev] Profiling and an API between Opensim components

Michael Heilmann mheilman at ist.ucf.edu
Tue Dec 9 17:56:40 UTC 2014

Opensim Developers

On the MOSES grid we have been attempting to profile and test the
Opensimulator code for quite a bit.  I saw the unit tests that already
exist, also that Opensim has a Jenkins process running against the
repository.  I also saw the conversation concerning API's and Justin
renaming a function.  Has there been any thought into segregating
Opensimulator components and creating API's for the different components?

I am working on an After Action Review region module, where user actions
are recorded on command, and later re-enacted using the NPC module on
command.  This is pretty hairy with the number of classes from different
parts of the code I've instantiated and interfaced with to get some of
the behaviour I am seeking for the module.

A clear API would make both testing/benchmarking simpler, as well as
module development.  The tight coupling and functionality crossing
multiple namespaces should also become clear as the API progresses. A
clear delineation between the networking, scripting, and physics
components would allow for better independent testing and development of
each component.  Thoughts?

While I've breached the subject of instrumenting and testing
Opensimulator, has anyone thought about a testing/QA process on Opensim?

--
Michael Heilmann
Research Associate