[Opensim-dev] thinking about a viewer

Mister Blue misterblue at misterblue.com
Thu Aug 14 02:33:01 UTC 2014

Now, talking about Diva's challenge...

The problem with creating such a solution is that the existing tools are
welded together -- 3d renderer is embedded into an app that presents a
pre-defined UI, chat system, camera system, ... It is all or nothing.

Systems like RealXtend try to solve the changeability problem by making
everything programmable. So there, an author has to program and deal with
the interaction of all the parts.

What is missing is an 'authoring language'. What is the 'language' (and I
use that term for a solution loosely) that a scene author can use to create
the challenge scene. Technically, the parts should be separate and
composable. From the author's point of view, the world should only consist
of the actors and the interactions desired.

There are scenario editing and interaction 'languages' available. The Unity
graphical state system is cool. I'd like to see others that were more scene
or world oriented. The underlying tech would be of composible pieces that
supported the construction of the desired world.