[Opensim-dev] Error detection when storing an asset

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:13:46 UTC 2014

Hi Oren,

FWIW, I agree with you completely wrt propagation of exceptions. I am
perhaps less concerned about whether this is ever reported to the user in
the viewer; that is a question for viewer developers to deliberate and
decide. To paraphrase Justin, whether a given piece of affected code
handles or ignores those exceptions is a different question entirely. For
me, it's about coding philosophy.

I am completely against any strategy that hides an error state. A properly
handled error state in the asset service might be the thing that first
alerts me to an impacted asset server, perhaps buying me sufficient time to
deal with it. In any event, I certainly don't want that call being made for
me by the programmer in a decision not to properly report an error
condition to the calling code. There are a shit-ton of other reasons why
this should never be done; but I'm not going to get crazy and start listing
them. Those who recognize the problem with doing things this way already
know, and the rest are wearing blinders and pedantically following legacy
practices.

My greater concern is that you will respond to the volume off these
objections rather than the number. There are two core dissenters, and they
are not superhuman (so neither correct nor otherwise in a state of grace by
default), so I would encourage you, if you really do think you have this
architectural issue solved, to pursue your case not for your own sake, but
for ours.

FYI I am not casting a vote as I am not core and so any vote I might cast
is not particularly relevant.

Cheers
James/Hiro

http://osgrid.org/