[Opensim-dev] Duplicate entries for Hypergrid users in GridUser table

Jim Williams sphere1952 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 14:50:23 UTC 2014

I will tell you that from the point of view of someone trying to create
complex content (scripts) it would be really great to be able to actually
log in more than once.  I sometimes fake it now by logging into different
grids and hyperjumping about.  (Doesn't help with the sorting out privs
nightmare though....)

I can't say that I buy into the argument that you can't do that in RL... so
why not?  Griefers would have to have extremely impressive hardware to make
use of the ability in any "interesting" way.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:

> No, this has nothing to do with multiple presences of the same user.
>
> From the GridUserService perspective, I think the idea was for it to be
> possible to have hg users with the same UUID as a local user. That
> situation is prevented by the Gatekeeper. However, entries in GridUser
> don't come solely from actual visits; they can come from other sources
> (friends, etc., I think), not necessarily users trying to visit.
>
> If we decided that we don't ever want to know about foreign users with the
> same UUID as a local user, which seems reasonable, then GridUser is
> unnecessarily complicated.  So I'm ok with simplifying it. I've had bug
> grief because of that design decision.
>
> On 4/21/2014 7:13 AM, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>
>> I *think* this has to do with the fact that you *are* allowed to log into
>> a grid, as the same avatar, more than once - they just can't be close
>> enough to each other that their root or child agents overlap, or you get a
>> crash.
>>
>> Melanie will tell you that that is by design, and correct, though I know
>> that many disagree that it should be so.
>>
>> Representing an avatar two different ways (UUID and UUI), seems to be
>> wrong though.
>>
>> -ste
>>
>> On 4/21/14, 2:55 AM, Oren Hurvitz wrote:

>>> I think that GridUserService should be changed so that it allows only
>>> one entry per UUID. It will still store the full UUI if given, but it won't
>>> allow multiple UUI's for the same user. Thoughts?

No essence.  No permanence.  No perfection.  Only action.