[Opensim-dev] OpenSimDefaults.ini clean up

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 22:45:15 UTC 2014

Actually Mel, I would not suggest that you do so. I've found some fairly
useful workflows involving the shell utilities find, diff, grep and sed
that really kind of move such concerns aside, allowing me to analyze and/or
edit large groups of files all in one big glorious command line invocation
:3

Note that heavy CYA safety nets are in place ;)

It isn't especially advanced by way of technique what I'm doing, really
just using those tools together for their intended purposes.

If someone does get around to writing a gui configurator, that would be
awesome (/me pokes marcus)

Sorry for the confusion about the proprietary nature of the thing Mel, I
guess I got the wrong idea last time we spoke of it, and that has been
quite some time.

In any case, my strategy is basically to use grep as a filter to get rid of
the 'comments' on the fly, single out things I need to compare, etc which I
then pass to diff or sed. I use find to generate lists of paths to the
files I need to compare or edit (or not, depending whether I'm working on
files in bulk).

It's kind of a cowboy way of doing things, but it's very quick and
effective if you don't get too crazy with it. Safe too if you make sure to
keep good backups.

Cheers!
James/Hiro

http://osgrid.org/