No subject

Sat Apr 19 02:14:48 UTC 2014

"The voting system itself should be used to choose new committers, both full
and partial. But here is one of the rare instances where secrecy is
appropriate. You can't have votes about potential committers posted to a
public mailing list, because the candidate's feelings (and reputation) could
be hurt. Instead, the usual way is that an existing committer posts to a
private mailing list consisting only of the other committers, proposing that
someone be granted commit access. The other committers speak their minds
freely, knowing the discussion is private. Often there will be no
disagreement, and therefore no vote necessary. After waiting a few days to
make sure every committer has had a chance to respond, the proposer mails
the candidate and offers him commit access. If there is disagreement,
discussion ensues as for any other question, possibly resulting in a vote.
For this process to be open and frank, the mere fact that the discussion is
taking place at all should be secret
 . If the person under consideration knew it was going on, and then were
never offered commit access, he could conclude that he had lost the vote,
and would likely feel hurt. Of course, if someone explicitly asks for commit
access, then there is no choice but to consider the proposal and explicitly
accept or reject him. If the latter, then it should be done as politely as
possible, with a clear explanation: "We liked your patches, but haven't seen
enough of them yet," or "We appreciate all your patches, but they required
considerable adjustments before they could be applied, so we don't feel
comfortable giving you commit access yet. We hope that this will change over
time, though." Remember, what you're saying could come as a blow, depending
on the person's level of confidence. Try to see it from their point of view
as you write the mail."
---

I personally suggest reading that whole chapter (#4) for reasons why a lot
of projects have a committers mailing list (and yes it is a standard
practice.)

Adam