No subject

Sat Apr 19 01:31:08 UTC 2014

on
of virtual worlds.=A0 It is no surprise that most Opensim developers wish t=
go beyond that first step, learning from past mistakes and finding better
models for the future.<br>
I mentioned earlier our work at the IETF on new VW protocols, in which LL a=
re a
leading party --- see=A0 <a href=3D"https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/o=
, the mailing list of the VWRAP working group.=A0 What may surprise you is
that even Lindens know that the current SL is not a good model for the futu=
re,
which is why the protocols being discussed go far beyond their legacy
ones.=A0 Indeed, Lindens will be facing a huge rewrite if this work bears
fruit.=A0 When even Lindens don't wish their future to be constrained b=
y the
current SL design because they know its many problems, this really highligh=
ts
how bad it would be for the Opensim team to do so. :-)<br>
I hope that one or more of these issues resonates with you, and makes it a =
bit
clearer why Opensim really cannot afford to align itself with SL.=A0 There
is no future in looking backwards.<br>
Morgaine.<br>
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</p>

ef=3D"mailto:lenwbrown at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">lenwbrown at gmail.com</a>=
> wrote:</p>

=A0=A0=A0=A0 I sympathize with you on many levels.=A0 I've also
had my doubts regarding the future of OpenSim, but I have also maintained s=
ome
degree of faith that things will pull through in the end.<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 For me the shock came when I was abruptly informed
that "OpenSim is not Second Life, is not intended to be like Second Li=
fe,
nor ever will."=A0 I still haven't the foggiest idea what this
developer had smoked for them to so strongly assert that incredibly false
statement.<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 For me, the enjoyment of OpenSim has come from my
intense devotion to building and skinning.=A0 In fact, for the last few
months I've been working on a full region that has many hundreds of ski=
ns,
clothes, hair, furniture, etc, etc, that I'd like to package up as an O=
AR and
give out freely, since repeatedly I've been told that instead of giving=
 money
to help further OpenSim I'd do more proactively by giving content.=A0 S=
o I
plan to do just that and give my money to other open source initiatives tha=
matter to me.<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 I have a passion for writing, and have thought many
times that one of the greatest powers OpenSim would gain is having simple,
straightforward, step-by-step instructions on how to download, compile,
install, administer and overall just plain operate the core applications.=
=A0
What kills me is that everyone who does a search for OpenSim inevitably hit=
the <a href=3D"http://opensimulator.org" target=3D"_blank">opensimulator.or=
g</a>
site and that is where the massive roadblock presents itself.=A0 It's
useless for most and irrelevant to the few who consider themselves OpenSim
experts.<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Heck, even now on the configuration page it still
displays info for 0.6.6 including (months old) known bugs in setting up reg=
ion
xml files.=A0 If there was appointed a volunteer whose sole job was to keep
information on <a href=3D"http://opensimulator.org" target=3D"_blank">opens=
imulator.org</a>
relevant that one task would resolve a mountain of negativity right
there.=A0 I sit here in front of my computers a good 10 to 12 hours a day.<=
br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 I would sincerely love to contribute to the OpenSim
project, especially in documentation support.=A0 But the thing holding me
back is communication.=A0 If I cannot get a straight answer on who to GIVE
money to in order to help, then I stand little chance of getting clear,
straight answers from developers when asking about issues I need to conside=
and incorporate in documentation.<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 If communication is a hurdle we can all overcome, with
a genuine and heart-felt effort to relay information, motives, and plans wi=
th
one another, then I'd sincerely appreciate having the opportunity to pe=
rsonally
contribute.=A0 I'm not a programmer today, but have a degree in program=
ming
fro the 90's (so much has changed my degree is practically useless in t=
hat
regard).=A0 But I do know how to explain things and relay information in
simple terms.=A0 But only if my own questions will be answered with more
than "look it up or figure it out yourself" as my answer.<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 If any of you would appreciate my help, feel free to
let me know at any time and I'll do what I can.<br>
- Len W. Brown<br>
=A0=A0=A0=A0 <a href=3D"mailto:lenwbrown at gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">lenwb=
rown at gmail.com</a></p>

t;<a href=3D"mailto:Colin.Withers at eumetsat.int" target=3D"_blank">Colin.Wit=
hers at eumetsat.int</a>>
wrote:</p>

I have decided to leave the Opensim project. You will probably not even not=
ice
if I leave, as not being a programmer my only inputs were the writing of th=
step-by-step tutorials ( <a href=3D"http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.c=
om/" target=3D"_blank">http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/</a> ), th=
e drafts of
the OpenSim User Manual on the Forge, and helping out in the IRC channels, =
for
newcomers.<br>
You may find my reasons for leaving Opensim interesting though (and please =
do
not construe any of my reasons as an attack on anyone).<br>
1. The Platform<br>
I raised this several times in the past in IRC, and made posts on my blog a=
bout
the product lifecycle of the platform ( <a href=3D"http://rock-vacirca.blog=
spot.com/2009/02/direction-of-virtual-worlds.html" target=3D"_blank">http:/=
/rock-vacirca.blogspot.com/2009/02/direction-of-virtual-worlds.html</a>
). I believe that the platforms underpinning both Second Life and Opensim a=
re
quite long in the tooth now, and I questioned how much product lifecycle th=
ere
was left, particularly given that Opensim is now nearing 3 years of
development, is still in Alpha, and if the current release of 0.6.7 is any
indicator, then still only around two thirds into the development cycle. Wi=
th
the (inevitable) coming of much superior platforms, such as Blue Mars and (=
as a
virtual world); Unity, for browser-based Virtual Wolrds; and now UDK (for
creating sandboxes, standalones, and open grids), then I fear that Opensim =
has
missed the boat as far as the remaining lifecycle of the platform is concer=
ned.
When you show people what is possible with these engines (for example this
avatar editor for the forthcom<br>
=A0ing APB (using the Unreal Engine): <a href=3D"http://www.youtube.com/wat=
ch?v=3DicR3LtEMvZI" target=3D"_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DicR3=
LtEMvZI</a>
or this city: <a href=3D"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhmLzNbPXMDg" targ=
et=3D"_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DhmLzNbPXMDg</a> (using the
CryEngine), then neither SL not Opensim stands comparison.<br>
2. Lack of Support for Currency in Opensim<br>
I felt the impact of this when I first made the switch from SL to Opensim. =
had a thriving RP sim in SL (over 50 people, mainly female) and they all ag=
reed
to follow me over to my Opensim and the OSGrid. However, within a month the=
had all left, citing the same reason, the lack of places to shop, to buy th=
quality stuff they wanted (skins, hair, clothes etc), as a quality appearan=
ce,
and the fun of shopping is what all the females placed high on their
requirements from a Virtual World. They drifted back to Second Life, and th=
guys followed them. I have always believed that the lack of support for
currency in the core was a mistake, but that is just my opinion.<br>
3. Marketing<br>
I have also raised this issue several times, and blogged about it. It is fa=
from clear just who an eventually released Opensim is actually aimed at. I
think that any company that is interested in a firewalled corporate solutio=
n to
collaboration and prototyping will already be looking at the Enterprise
solution that is currently available from Second Life; that any indie group
that is thinking of running a themed grid will need an economy to stay viab=
le;
and any individual who is looking for a private sandbox solution for their =
SL
work will need full compatibility (which is not the case with the OS versio=
n of
LSL diverging from the SL LSL). So, just who is the platform aimed at? I wa=
also very disappointed in the view of one of the core devs who said that
'marketing is a null concept for us'.<br>
I am currently designing and creating cities for Blue Mars, and involved in=
team for proving the UDK as a platform for the design and creation of Virtu=
al
Worlds (as opposed to purely games), and with so much documentation availab=
le
for these mature engines (particularly for the UDK, Blue Mars lags behind
somewhat in that department, but have hired extra staff to put that right),=
am achieving the productivity I want, building the worlds that I want, with
stable crash-free platforms.<br>
However, I do wish the Opensim team the very best in their endeavours, and =
sincerely hope their goals are eventually achieved.<br>
If anyone would like to take over the Opensim Tutorials pages at <a href=3D=
"http://chapter-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/" target=3D"_blank">http://chapt=
er-and-metaverse.blogspot.com/</a>
and <a href=3D"http://chapter-and-metaverse2.blogspot.com/" target=3D"_blan=
k">http://chapter-and-metaverse2.blogspot.com/</a>
(they will need some updating following several changes) then I am more tha=
willing to pass the posts over, and of course the Opensim User Manual is th=
ere
in the Forge for anyone to develop further.<br>
Best Regards and Good Luck<br>
Rock<br>

14:45:00<p></p>

Opensim-dev mailing list<br>