No subject

Sat Apr 19 01:31:08 UTC 2014

objects in memory and increasing memory usage. This may be causing portions
of memory to swap out where they may not have before. When retrieving the
asset, it would need to swap it back in and it may have to do it in several
steps in order to locate the asset. This may cause further delay as it may
have to swap other memory out to make space. It would seem likely that a
file based cache may perform better as the filename might provide a more
direct route to the actual cache data. I suspect that the operating system
may also allow searching directories for a filename fairly quickly - modern
file systems are quite efficient these days.
This is really just a guess... I suspect some benchmarking and profiling of
several systems of different configurations may be necessary to determine
what the bottleneck really is.