No subject

Sat Apr 19 01:31:08 UTC 2014

ared LSL scripting lib (I suggest calling it OpenSim.Scripting.LSL in accor=
dance with our recent ambition to remove superfluous namespace levels)This =
project can then hold all types (or extracted basetypes) common to both the=
 DotNetEngine and the XEngine. These two projects are HIDEOUSLY duplicated =
- even the LSLTypes are, which would DEFINITIVELY go into the OpenSim.Scrip=
ting.LSL baselib.
=20
Doing this would be a good start for further extraction and refactoring eff=
orts.
=20
I'd do it in the blink of an eye, If I knew somebody would catch the refact=
orings and validate them on both engines.
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB Join the 3d web revolution : h=
ttp://tribalnet.se/=20

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 19:41:33 -0700From: cfk at pacbell.netTo: opensim-dev at li=
sts.berlios.deSubject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Two sets of LSL function implement=
ation files.

So, how do we evolve this mess back to sanity. At this point we have two co=
pies of the LSL function implmentation. Some folks are patching the Common/=
 copy. Other folks are patching the new file.I looked at the first 100 func=
tions (there are 300+). Some in the Common/ are not implemented. Different =
ones in the new xengine fork are not implemented. Most are identical. I hav=
e been here before with a source code file that gets copied, renamed, then =
two different groups start morphing it to a different place. It just gets w=
orse and worse.Charles
----- Original Message ----From: Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.c=
om>To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.deSent: Monday, June 9, 2008 12:49:33 PMSu=
bject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Two sets of LSL function implementation files.+1 t=
ooYes, let's make as much code common as possible, please.Frisby, Adam wrot=
e:> +1> >  > > If we can avoid duplication (and only splitting where the en=
gines > themselves differ) I strongly agree.> >  > > Regards,> >  > > Adam>=
 >  > > *From:* opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de > [mailto:opensim-dev-=
bounces at lists.berlios.de] *On Behalf Of *Charles Krinke> *Sent:* Monday, 9 =
June 2008 1:43 PM> *To:* opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de> *Subject:* [Opensim-=
dev] Two sets of LSL function implementation files.> >  > > We now have two=
 sets of the implementation of the LSL scripting > functions themselves.> >=
 The original one is :> > OpenSim\Region\ScriptEngine\Common\LSL_BuiltIn_Co=
mmands.cs> > The new one is :> > OpenSim\Region\ScriptEngine\XEngine\LSL_Sc=
riptCommands.cs> > In these files are implementations that are duplicates o=
f each other, > such as llSay() and dozens of the others.> > Originally, th=
e Common\ directory was defined to hold all the LSL > function implementati=
on and I concur  with that decision. In fact, I put > all the prototypes in=
to that file for all 300+ functions.> > Now, we have added a new copy of th=
ese functions and they are beginning > to diverge.> > I believe it is of so=
me importance that we put common logic into our > already defined Common\ d=
irectory for various scriptengine > implemenations as we move forward.> > C=
ertainly, I am not advocating a fire-drill, but rather an evolution > back =
to our original mission. This is not to preclude any functional of > Xengin=
e or dotnetengine, but rather to concentrating on resolve the > current dup=
lication of code from our Common\ directory.> > Charles> > ________________=

--_dc5ebc13-e411-4a88-abab-c358d094219f_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
hy we couldn't create a shared LSL scripting lib (I suggest calling it=
 OpenSim.Scripting.LSL in accordance with our recent ambition to remov=
e superfluous namespace levels)<BR><BR>This project can then hold all types=
 (or extracted basetypes) common to both the DotNetEngine and the XEngine. =
These two projects are HIDEOUSLY duplicated - even the LSLTypes are, which =
would DEFINITIVELY go into the OpenSim.Scripting.LSL baselib.<BR>
 <BR>
Doing this would be a good start for further extraction and refactoring eff=
orts.<BR>
 <BR>
I'd do it in the blink of an eye, If I knew somebody would catch the refact=
orings and validate them on both engines.<BR>
<BR>Best regards,<BR>Stefan Andersson<BR>Tribal Media AB<BR> <BR>Join =
the 3d web revolution : <A href=3D"http://tribalnet.se/" target=3D_bla=
nk>http://tribalnet.se/</A><BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<HR id=3DEC_stopSpelling>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 19:41:33 -0700<BR>From: cfk at pacbell.net<BR>To: opensi=
m-dev at lists.berlios.de<BR>Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Two sets of LSL functi=
on implementation files.<BR><BR>
<META content=3D"Microsoft SafeHTML" name=3DGenerator>
<STYLE>
.ExternalClass DIV
{;}

</STYLE>

<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica,sans-serif">
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial,helvetica,sans-serif">So,=
 how do we evolve this mess back to sanity. At this point we have two copie=
s of the LSL function implmentation. Some folks are patching the Common/ co=
py. Other folks are patching the new file.<BR><BR>I looked at the first 100=
 functions (there are 300+). Some in the Common/ are not implemented. Diffe=
rent ones in the new xengine fork are not implemented. Most are identical. =
<BR><BR>I have been here before with a source code file that gets copied, r=
enamed, then two different groups start morphing it to a different place. I=
t just gets worse and worse.<BR><BR>Charles<BR><BR>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: times new roman,new york,times,=
serif">----- Original Message ----<BR>From: Justin Clark-Casey <jjustinc=
c at googlemail.com><BR>To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de<BR>Sent: Monday, J=
une 9, 2008 12:49:33 PM<BR>Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Two sets of LSL funct=
ion implementation files.<BR><BR>+1 too<BR><BR>Yes, let's make as much code=
 common as possible, please.<BR><BR><BR>Frisby, Adam wrote:<BR>> +1<BR>&=
gt; <BR>>  <BR>> <BR>> If we can avoid duplication (and only =
splitting where the engines <BR>> themselves differ) I strongly agree.<B=
R>> <BR>>  <BR>> <BR>> Regards,<BR>> <BR>>  <BR=
>> <BR>> Adam<BR>> <BR>>  <BR>> <BR>> *From:* <A hre=
f=3D"mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de">opensim-dev-bounces at lists=
.berlios.de</A> <BR>> [mailto:<A href=3D"mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at list=
s.berlios.de">opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de</A>] *On Behalf Of *Char=
les Krinke<BR>> *Sent:* Monday, 9 June 2008 1:43 PM<BR>> *To:* <A hre=
f=3D"mailto:opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de">opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de</A><=
BR>> *Subject:* [Opensim-dev] Two sets of LSL function implementation fi=
les.<BR>> <BR>>  <BR>> <BR>> We now have two sets of the i=
mplementation of the LSL scripting <BR>> functions themselves.<BR>> <=
BR>> The original one is :<BR>> <BR>> OpenSim\Region\ScriptEngine\=
Common\LSL_BuiltIn_Commands.cs<BR>> <BR>> The new one is :<BR>> <B=
R>> OpenSim\Region\ScriptEngine\XEngine\LSL_ScriptCommands.cs<BR>> <B=
R>> In these files are implementations that are duplicates of each other=
, <BR>> such as llSay() and dozens of the others.<BR>> <BR>> Origi=
nally, the Common\ directory was defined to hold all the LSL <BR>> funct=
ion implementation and I concur  with that decision. In fact, I put <B=
R>> all the prototypes into that file for all 300+ functions.<BR>> <B=
R>> Now, we have added a new copy of these functions and they are beginn=
ing <BR>> to diverge.<BR>> <BR>> I believe it is of some importanc=
e that we put common logic into our <BR>> already defined Common\ direct=
ory for various scriptengine <BR>> implemenations as we move forward.<BR=
>> <BR>> Certainly, I am not advocating a fire-drill, but rather an e=
volution <BR>> back to our original mission. This is not to preclude any=
 functional of <BR>> Xengine or dotnetengine, but rather to concentratin=
g on resolve the <BR>> current duplication of code from our Common\ dire=