[Opensim-dev] Rate Limit DOS Protection

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Wed Oct 16 19:46:41 UTC 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 8:39 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:
> In fact, I would say that making OpenSimulator as functional as possible "out of the box" (within certain bounds such as not bundling a web interface) is a standard OpenSimulator operating procedure.  That's why we have SQLite as the default database, for example.

I suppose that is certainly the case when you think of it as a distribution also in itself, and not just a part of some larger distros (like Diva's etc).

If it would be strictly considered as a lib to be used in some system that fills in the rest, then what makes sense can differ. Like say Bullet or Ogre are.

But given that there are a lot of people out there who just use Opensim as is, always new people just grabbing and launching it and starting to use, I figure your statement must have truth in it.

I do find Melanie's point valid too, I'm sure you agree with that as well: is good practice to keep it stable so that updates don't secretly break setups.  But the discussion how it goes in this case you already had.

~Toni