[Opensim-dev] Raise minimum mono version to 2.6

James Hughes jamesh at bluewallgroup.com
Mon Jan 28 12:34:43 UTC 2013

It seems that we are shooting for partial .net 4.0 support, and 2.6 is
where we have that. So, if we are using features found in that version,
then we are saying that version 2.6 is the bare minimum version that our
code will run on. What is wrong with that?

Mono 3 has some interesting features, including a bump to .net 4.5/C#
5.0. After things are stable on 3.x, then we will probably want to use
features in that version. Then we will require .net 4.5 target support.

Mono 2.8 had a more complete .net 4.0 support than 2.6, but it had some
serious issues when running alongside other versions of mono in
situations like OSGrid.

In the support channels, we suggest later versions of mono. But there is
nothing wrong in making correct statements about the minimum support
needed, and mono 2.6 is the minimum version it will run on. That is a
correct technical assessment of the requirements and it should stay that
way unless we need full .net 4.0 support. Then mono 2.8 would be the
minimum.

-BlueWall