[Opensim-dev] BulletSim office hours: Tueday January 22nd 8am PST

Adams, Robert robert.adams at intel.com
Mon Jan 21 20:45:16 UTC 2013

Bring your vehicle expertise and vehicles you would like to debug to the BulletSim Vehicles Office Hour which is held every Tuesday at 0800 PST (8:00am PST, 1600 UTC) in the BulletSim region in OSGrid[1].  The next one is tomorrow Tuesday January 22nd.

I have started some BulletSim pages on the OpenSimulator Wiki. Checkout the listing of functions supported by BulletSim at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/BulletSim/Functionality where I will update what is working and not working in BulletSim along with some additional commentary on vagaries of the functions.

There have been improvements in vehicles. I have been creating test scripts and running them in SL and in OpenSim/BulletSim to compare the physical effects. This has led to some changes to the vehicle functions. For instance, vehicle turning is now different than ODE but more like SL. The vehicle functions that are not working yet are the angular functions (banking, vertical attraction, deflection, ...). Work is progressing thereon.

The new function osGetPhysicsEngineType() will return "BulletSim" for your scripts[2]. If 'os' functions are enabled in the region, this function will not throw an exception if permissions don't allow execution. It will just return an empty string. Be sure to lobby for 'os' functions to be enabled by default and for this function in particular to be enabled by default for all regions.

Some Manti have been closed:
Mantis 6481: BulletSim - llMoveToTarget does not work   (http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6481)
               Fixed
Mantis 6473: bulletsim - avatar floats after standing up
               Fixed
Mantis 6040: Vehicle linear motor is projected onto the region global XY plane
               Fixed for BulletSim although ODE still has this problem.

-- ra

[1] My networking guys assure me that networking is really, really fixed this time.
[2] "OpenDynamicsEngine" is returned for ODE. It is actually returning whatever was in the INI file specifier "physics = XXX".