[Opensim-dev] IRegisterInterface for extending scene entities

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 18 23:46:57 UTC 2013

Alright, I'm going to suggest

1.  That all attributes must be within their own OSDMap, which must be a minimum of 4 chars long (maybe this could be
relaxed for 'core' stuff).

2.  Within this map, attribute names and further OSDMap or other structures are entirely up to the caller.

3.  At the initial development stage, everything may change such that existing data may no longer be retrieved (e.g. the
way this is stored or the entire approach may change).  One must not rely on data being present.

4.  If at all possible, this must be backward and forward compatible with other versions of OpenSimulator no matter
whether it remains or is altered radically.  This should be fine since deserialization will ignore any top-level xml
nodes that it doesn't recognize.  But we must preserve a Postel's law - this was a painful lesson to learn.