[Opensim-dev] IRegisterInterface for extending scene entities

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 5 01:01:17 UTC 2013

On 04/01/13 05:48, Oren Hurvitz wrote:
> For namespacing we can take a pointer from MIME types:
> 1. Keys used by core OpenSim will have no prefix, e.g. "media" or
> "prop.attr".

I'm not very comfortable with this, I think it would better if such attributes started with core. or even c.

I also think it would be better to enforce storage in a completely separate map rather than making this part of the key
name. Perhaps that's too fussy.

> 2. Keys created outside core OpenSim will use the "vnd." prefix, followed by
> the name of the creating entity. For example: "vnd.acme.myprop".

What would vnd stand for?  My preference would be not have this but just something like acme.myprop instead.

> We should stick to storing the data in a single field. Database access is
> much slower than in-memory string manipulation, so for any reasonable amount
> of data it would be faster to read and write it as part of the existing
> "prims" table rather than adding additional SQL operations on another table
> ("primattr"?). And of course, a separate table would be much more
> complicated to handle and I do like the simple life :)

It might be worth putting a limit on the amount of data stored, to stop any region module massively filling up the space.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting