[Opensim-dev] Command lines - use of hyphens and verb subject flipping

Ai Austin ai.ai.austin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 13:32:11 UTC 2013

At 11:00 30/08/2013, opensim-dev-request at lists.berlios.de wrote:
>I'm still not sure whether verb-object is better (e.g. send
>appearance) or object-verb (e.g. appearance send).

I strongly vote for verb object in such computer script languages.

This works well also where there are more than one main parameter
too, as that can get confusing otherwise. Its also the way most
commands already are.

There are just a few hyphenated commands as you say.  I spotted
delete-region and remove-region

command-script is an odd on as really its just run <script>  script
<script>  or command <script> ? But its one I always seem to get
wrong.  Leaving in a few problematic ones with hyphen and non-hyphen
versions, but making the help text and documentation give the
definitive one to move forward with might be an approach?