[Opensim-dev] Update for group module & flotsam

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 23 02:35:48 UTC 2012

Yes, there is considerable overlap here, thanks for posting, Dahlia.  Unfortunately I wasn't aware/had forgotten about
this setting.

It is the case that MessageOnlineUsersOnly should be more efficient as it performs its analysis much higher up in the
stack, so only needing one (cached) presence call.  I wrote this code because of the input from Michelle and what I
thought was reports of large-group messaging problems on OSgrid.

However, it turns out that the default for ForwardOfflineGroupMessages is true and people may simply not have set it to
false.  This has been the case on the OSGrid plazas, for instance.  Michelle, have you tried making sure this setting is
false?  I believe the default should be false rather than true.

In principle, ForwardOfflineGroupMessages shouldn't actually have a direct impact since the offline storage is done on a
separate thread for each user.  But possibly in a very large group or in a situation where many groups are being
messaged at once, many threads are being tied up for each message and perhaps this is having an effect on the runtime
(this is speculation).