[Opensim-dev] Suggestion for ini-files

Void Pipe voidpipe at ymail.com
Tue May 29 06:13:55 UTC 2012

If you do modifications to opensim.ini or gridcommon.ini you have to do them again manually every time the syntax or disposition of those file changes or every time a new version is out of OpenSim or OSGrid. As it is easy to make small mistakes that is a quite common source of problems.

My idea is to use two set of files instead. opensim.ini contains the current standard settings and personal.ini (just as an example) contains the few lines with my personal changes of the settings in opensim.ini. The only line needed to set in opensim.ini is the path to the directory where personal.ini, regions.ini and personal_grid.ini is located.

After opensim.ini is read the personal.ini is read and the few changed settings are performed. The same way for gridcommon.ini and personal_grid.ini for the database settings.

This makes it much easier to update the version of the sim. Just rename the old bin and option directories, unpack the new file and edit that one line with the path to settings directory. Done!

 Hopefully that will mean that more people will keep their sims up to date and that will improve the general impression of the grids.