[Opensim-dev] Any particular reason for EntityTransferModule being shared instead of per-region?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Mon May 21 22:22:08 UTC 2012

Hi Diva (primarily).  Is there any strong reason for having EntityTransferModule as a shared module rather than per
region?  I need to keep eliminating possible teleport-related race conditions and this gets simpler if scenes aren't
sharing the ETM module.  Teleports between regions on the same simulator then better resemble teleports between regions
on different simulators, eliminating the need for special-case logic.

In particular, doing this allows me to extend the in-transit checking to prevent problems such as teleporting back to
the same region before the old ScenePresence has been properly cleaned up.

There are a couple of shared member variables on ETM (and HGETM) but these are either unused (m_Scenes) or I don't think
the share has no practical effect (e.g. m_bannedRegions, since this is only used on region cross).  If these shared
structures are important then I could be move them somewhere else.

In my early regression and manual tests there are no obvious issues with making this change, though I intend to test more.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
http://justincc.org/blog