[Opensim-dev] IRC for Groups

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 23:48:24 UTC 2012

Group IM may be difficult as presence in IRC may not be straightforward to
implement given the region acts as a proxy for IM. Another issue is IM can
be larger than the normal IRC message length limit of 512 bytes. XMPP may
work better given the more flexible message formats and lengths but I
suspect it would also be difficult to manage presence also. Either protocol
would likely need to be modified before a usable solution could be reached.

I've done some experimentation using a gridproxy (part of libomv) plugin to
facilitate XMPP for groups. The project is available here:
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/jabberimproxy/  It effectively
adds a XMPP client to any viewer by injecting spoof IM packets into the
packet stream between the region and the viewer.

There are also bots which act as IRC/Group IM bridges out there, the one I
am most familiar with is the one Latif Kahlifa (lkalif on IRC) runs that
connects the freenode IRC channel #awg to the Second Life group "Advanced
Worlds Group". A conversation with Latif might bring some insight into
using IRC for group IM.