[Opensim-dev] Multi-region OAR format

Oren Hurvitz orenh at kitely.com
Fri Jul 20 05:01:54 UTC 2012

I want to extend the OAR format to support multiple regions. That's a
significant change, so I'd like to get some feedback about the design before
diving in.

A multi-region OAR will store each region in its own subdirectory. Only the
assets will remain in a top-level directory, to avoid storing multiple
copies of the assets. I.e:

my_oar/
   assets/ - (all the assets)
   region1/
      settings/ - region1.xml
      objects/ - (objects from region1)
   region2/
      settings/ - region2.xml
      objects/ - (objects from region2)
   etc.

The file archive.xml will get a "table of contents" that lists the included
regions and their spatial relationship. Regions are listed first by row
(South to North), and within each row regions are listed West-to-East:

<regions>
</regions>

The load-oar and save-oar commands will be extended as follows:

save-oar - add a parameter called "-all". If true then save all the regions
in the simulator into a single OAR. If false or missing then save only the
current region (as today).

load-oar - when loading a multi-region OAR, load each region into the
corresponding region in the simulator

If the OAR contains only one region then we'll skip creating a subdirectory
for the region, and won't include the <regions> element in archive.xml. This
means all existing OARs will be compatible with the new format.

Any thoughts?

Oren