[Opensim-dev] IRegisterInterface for extending scene entities

Adams, Robert robert.adams at intel.com
Fri Dec 28 18:38:25 UTC 2012

I agree with "not reinventing the wheel".  And your valid concerns about the implementation are probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I have been toying with the architectural idea that OpenSim core only provides a basic framework. Functionalities are added as plugin modules rather than implemented as if's and tests imbedded in core. For instance, could linksets be implemented as a plugin module[1]? Or maybe entity physical representation (meshing)?

I merely consider llSetKeyFrameMotion as a test case to expose needed core features which support plugin modules (Necessary events available? Correct data-structures exposed/hidden? ...)  Like you, I am pretty sure the ability to programmatically extend scene entities will be needed and is a Good Thing.

Since llSetKeyframeMotion has already been completed and will be incorporated soon, I'll look for another simple test case to exercise the requirements for full featured plugin modules.

-- ra

[1] Why would one want to do this? I've been thinking about fancy linksets where the joints are not fixed and static but could be parameterized and dynamic (hinges, sliders, 6DOF, ...). This could be used to support skeletons, doors with real hinges and/or weird and wonderful vehicles. Rather than mangling OpenSim core with lots of experimental code, it would be nice if I could build an "ExtendedLinksets" module that could be plugged in and experimented with.