[Opensim-dev] OpenSim's direction after Linden cutting support, and the possibility of an official OpenSim viewer

Toni Alatalo toni at playsign.net
Wed Dec 12 06:52:21 UTC 2012

Lainaus "Adams, Robert" <robert.adams at intel.com>:
> Maybe a way of attacking the problem is to separate the parts and
> not think about building one behemoth application that does
> everything.

Just for info that much of what you describe is what we have done and
are doing withing realXtend. Yes, the rumors of the death of reX are
very much exaggerated :)

We are more alive than ever before I think actually, quite many
substantial projects coming next year etc (at least >1Me in public
projects even), it just doesn't show to the Opensim community nor
worlds.

Also an Android build of Tundra has been made now and is in testing,
and there's good progress with websocket+webgl client side now again
as well.

> Some projects (like Radegast or Lumiya) have made interesting
> progress on a viewer. Maybe content creation can be handled with
> Blender plugins? Maybe the chat/voice client could be one of the
> gaming services? Maybe the social connection/interaction framework
> could be Facebook (OK. No one would ever choose Facebook but any
> service is possible).

realXtend is largely about plugging in and using together a set of
existing open source products: On the creation side most of the focus
is on Blender authoring and export -- even live sync has been
experimented. For voice there is Mumble. Chat with XMPP (now a XMPP
module is included in the new Tundra 2.4 series).

Adminotech's Meshmoon hosting integrates with Facebook and Google, and
whatever needed, authentication.

Focus has largely been on making a modular framework where integrating
different optional things is nice. Different services can then
configure the world setups to their needs.

For example I tested ages ago using Simiangrid for authentication with
Tundra servers and it was easy and straightforward.

> Then, of course, there is the problem of the client/server protocol.
> LLLP (my term for "Linden Lab Legacy Protocol") grew organically and
> had different problems to solve (remember the days when SL worked
> over dialup modems?). An organized, partition-able protocol would go
> a long way toward making new clients (mobile or continuously
> connected or ...) and servers (distributed or dynamically
> reconfigurable or ...) possible. It's just a new OpenSimulator
> region module to talk a new language.

This also touches what we've made in the Tundra effort, dropped LLLP
(I usually call it LLUDP :) and use an extensible minimal protocol for
the scene-entity sync reusing a generic network lib (kNet, similar to
enet).

If I'd need to do Opensim server connectivity support for Tundra
client's today, would seriously consider writing exactly what you
suggest: a server side Opensim module for the new protocol, in this
case Tundra over kNet.

To summarize, I'd say that in realXtend we've somewhat successfully
created a new platform from scratch, addressing the problems
encountered with SLViewer, LLUDP and Opensim (hardcoded scene
structure/data). So is perhaps interesting to look for folks who think
of such efforts around Opensimulator.

But for people who are happily using the SL content & functionality
models as is, rely on efficient prim rendering and using Opensim for
chat and groups and everything, certainly just using and maintaining /
devving a SLViewer & LLUDP etc. based thing is what works.

> Anyway, just throwing that out there.

.. and here just reacting with our basic view, willing to discuss more
if there is interest.

> -- ra

~Toni