[Opensim-dev] OpenSim's direction after Linden cutting support, and the possibility of an official OpenSim viewer

Adams, Robert robert.adams at intel.com
Wed Dec 12 02:03:46 UTC 2012

The SL viewer model is an all in one application - viewer, editor, chat client, connection manager, ...

Maybe a way of attacking the problem is to separate the parts and not think about building one behemoth application that does everything.

Some projects (like Radegast or Lumiya) have made interesting progress on a viewer. Maybe content creation can be handled with Blender plugins? Maybe the chat/voice client could be one of the gaming services? Maybe the social connection/interaction framework could be Facebook (OK. No one would ever choose Facebook but any service is possible).

Then, of course, there is the problem of the client/server protocol. LLLP (my term for "Linden Lab Legacy Protocol") grew organically and had different problems to solve (remember the days when SL worked over dialup modems?). An organized, partition-able protocol would go a long way toward making new clients (mobile or continuously connected or ...) and servers (distributed or dynamically reconfigurable or ...) possible. It's just a new OpenSimulator region module to talk a new language.

Anyway, just throwing that out there.

-- ra