[Opensim-dev] (no subject)

core core at odosys.net
Sun Aug 26 20:35:25 UTC 2012

robert,

with/testing prototypes for an ubuntu-based live cd setup with
everything needed to run a standalone grid including:

- optimized versions of apache, mysql and php (for 'spareware'
installations)
- opensim with the latest services bundle in place
- optional icecast and mumble servers for local parcel media and
alternate voice services, respectively
(i've gotten freeswitch to work, but honestly the unpredictable quality
is not worth the trouble)
- preconfigured ip-tables
- misc. scripts for maintenance

it was originally intended for educational use in schools with limited
budgets and resources an/or for those looking to break away from
commercial platforms and make that leap into the world of freedom and
open source goodness ;)

there have been relatively successful versions in the past, but most of
those projects seem to have gone dorment and opensim has changed
significantly since then.  i'd love to get back on track with this and
get a working image assembled for people to try out in various
envronments.  if you (or anyone else) is interested in being a tester or
perhaps sharing some thoughts on which fearures would be beneficial or
unnecessary, let me know.

i cannot commit to a turnaround time for this but much of the annoying
work is already done so it's just a matter of refining and testing (and
of course writing decent documentation).

- core / jason