[Opensim-dev] Wiki documentation of plugins

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Tue Sep 20 21:44:36 UTC 2011

The use of Mono.Addins was a mistake. I was against it from the
start and eventually my intuition proved right. Mono.Addins is a
horrible way to load plugins, it prevents multiple sims from sharing
a single bin directory and makes it nearly impossible to have a
read-only bin/ directory. Sometimes it fails to load modules altogether.

OpenSim can't move away from it as far as region modules go as the
amount of work to change them all would be too great, but we needn't
compound the mistake by adding yet more things that use Mono.Addins.
If we ever want to have a chance to remove Mono.Addins, we have to
stop using it for new things.

Melanie