[Opensim-dev] Opensim: Linux vs. Windows

Nebadon Izumi nebadon2025 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:54:27 UTC 2011

Use what your most comfortable with, there is literally not much difference
between Linux and Windows servers in terms of uptime. they will likely run
quite the same as a base operating system.  Its not that hard to make either
run poorly as well, its all a matter of the experience of the people
operating the servers, In terms of OpenSimulator running on Windows would
probably give you a more robust environment in the .NET environment, it is
much more mature than Mono is, but mono has made great strides recently in
terms of stability.  I personally run all of the OSgrid servers in Linux
right now while Intel's ScienceSim has a bigger focus on Windows servers. I
mostly use linux because of costs and to promote use of OpenSource
technology not because its more stable, I have nothing against using Windows
servers, in terms of desktop computers I am a die hard Windows user.  I
really do suggest you use what your most comfortable with at this point, if
you have no experience with Linux then you might not get the stability and
up time you are going for if you are not comfortable with how things work
and getting into the nitty gritty of configuration and optimization.

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org