[Opensim-dev] Wiki: Captcha, anyone?

Fritigern Gothly fritigerngothly at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 07:12:48 UTC 2011

Almost every day, Justin, Makopoppo and I have to delete spam from the
wiki, and lately, we have seen a steady increase of the amount of spam
that pops up on the wiki.
I would therefore like to propose installing the ConfirmEdit extension
on the OpenSim wiki, which will present the user with a captcha when
the newly added text contains an external link.
I do believe that requiring decoding a captcha when a newly added text
contains an external link will dramatically decrease the number of
successful spamming attempts on the wiki.
To regular users, a captcha may be a minor inconvenience, in that they
will have to perform one additional, but small, step before their text
is published. For spammers however, it will be a hindrance, because
they will no longer be able to use an automated process to sign up,
and post their spam.

More infor on the extension: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmEdit

-- Friti