[Opensim-dev] Updating attachment assets

Oren Hurvitz orenh at kitely.com
Sun Oct 2 08:18:48 UTC 2011

Occasionally, OpenSim updates the asset of an attachment. This is done in
AttachmentsModule.UpdateKnownItem(). For example, this is done whenever the
attachment is detached from the avatar. I have a couple of questions about
this:

1. A new asset is created, but the old asset is not deleted; it remains as a
"zombie". I have changed my branch of OpenSim to delete the old asset, and
this works well. However, this required making another change: currently
OpenSim only allows deleting assets that are map tiles, and I changed it to
allow deleting all types of assets. Why was this restriction ever made? If
there's no objection, I will submit a patch for this change (delete old
attachment asset + allow deleting all types of assets).

2. UpdateKnownItem() decides whether it should update an attachment's asset
using this 'if':

   if (grp.HasGroupChanged || grp.ContainsScripts())

Why check for ContainsScripts()? This was added in 8880ae (Sep 14, 2011). It
causes what seem to be unnecessary updates.

Oren