[Opensim-dev] The case for greater than 1024x1024 pixel textures.

David Kaplan lists at davidkaplandesign.com
Mon Nov 7 14:02:19 UTC 2011

I whole-heartedly support this proposal in whatever the solution may be
- regardless if it's an issue with the viewers or the server. I don't
see that have larger textures will create appreciably significant
performance issues because, much like web designers, people who are
competent in building on OS are aware of bandwidth and optimization
concerns when it comes file size. If they aren't, awareness will have be
raised on this issue but I don't think a lack of awareness should impede
creativity. OS has a lot of competing products out there (e.g., Unity,
etc) and they all manage to do the job well while also allowing for
robust textured graphics. I understand software like Unity is
implemented differently but there is little reason why this issue should
different.

My two cent.