[Opensim-dev] networking issues

Mic Bowman cmickeyb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:27:02 UTC 2011

Yeah... and i think it was your post that got us thinking about how the
multiple layers of buffering were hurting performance here. thanks for the
original post.

In poking around at this issue... one thing I've found (completely
anecdotally) is that when we put a "reasonable" cap on per client bw, things
tend to work far better. With no caps at all, performance gets very
unpredictable. The variance in times between pulling updates from the entity
update queues goes up significantly. With a cap, you don't get all the
updates as fast... but the performance is more predictable (and the user
experience didn't degrade much). I'm not at all sure what to make of that...
it could be kernel or network buffering issues. I just don't know.

--mic